Monday, August 4, 2008

Still Makin' Me Laugh

There are some things that make you laugh for a long time after they happen. There's one that stands out in my mind. It happened over ten years ago. I was with a couple of friends when one got on a pogo stick. Now, normally you're supposed to jump up and down. Somehow she got out of control and must have leaned forward a little too far because pretty soon she was bouncing along at a 45 degree angle. The angle decreased until it seemed she was bouncing almost parallel to the pavement. She then proceeded to crash in the dirt at the end of the driveway. I wanted to rush up and make sure she was okay, but I had to stop laughing first. It's a curse to always want to laugh when someone falls. I think I get it from my mom. (Remember the BYU bookstore incident?) Anyway, it still makes me laugh. On a more serious note, it reminds me of talks from Pres. Hinckley and Pres. Uchtdorf about how being off by a few degrees or inches can be disastrous or at least cause a lot of problems. We have to be wise and careful about things (like media) that we allow into our lives because giving in just a little can mean giving into a lot more later on down the road.

No comments: