Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Joy of Reading

The first book I remember reading is "Sammy the Seal". Actually, I had my sister Heather read it to me so much that I memorized it and thought I was reading. Since then I've never quit--reading, not memorizing. Reading is one of my favorite things to do. I wonder what it is that makes reading so enjoyable. It is the entertainment value? The learning? The information? In "Shadowlands", a movie about a part of the life of C.S. Lewis, a teacher is quoted as saying "We read to know that we are not alone." Is that supposed to mean I feel like a loner? That I read to feel connected to people and their experiences, most of which are not even real? I don't feel that way, so I don't really know what it means. All I know is that I'm glad I can read and that I enjoy it. I feel bad for people who don't enjoy reading. Besides, it's a cheap hobby.

1 comment:

Denisse said...

Betsy!!!! I'm sooooooooo glad you started a blog!!!! You are awesome Bets! I love reading your thoughts and ideas and your opinions about interesting topics!!!! I read your entire blog and loved everything you wrote about! I'm so glad I was able to come see you with the kids one last time before we headed out here!!! Love ya lots!!!!:)