Friday, July 25, 2008

Support our Troops

If you've ever watched the State of the Union address, then you'll notice that when the president says something that the Dems like, they stand up and applaud. If the Republicans like it, they do the same. But if he mentions something about supporting our troops, everyone claps regardless of party lines. Everybody does it. Support our Troops. It's the "politically correct" thing to do. My question is, what exactly does that mean? Let me start by saying that I'm not pro-war. Who really is? But I'm all for establishing "inalienable rights" such as . . . "life, liberty, pursuit of happiness," etc., etc. . . And sometimes war is the means, which is the case with our own beloved America. So since we happen to be fighting abroad at the moment, how exactly does one "support our troops." Is it demanding that our troops come home right now? Is it proclaiming that we never should have been in Iraq (amongst other places), and the whole thing is a waste, and we're failing miserably? Because that's what I hear sometimes, and I wonder if that's how we support our troops. All I know is that we're there, and I am glad there are men and women (like my cousin who is a chaplain and has already been deployed twice and working on a third time) willing to do what they do even at the price some have to pay. I guess I'm just tired of hearing so many sons and daughters of America complain about how everything in our country is going wrong. Why not be "proud to be an American" and not just on the Fourth of July? Why not use our rights to do good, instead of bringing down the very institution that gave us those rights? So I'm kind of off topic, but the next time we talk about supporting our troops, let's find a good way to actually do it--like send a letter or a package or help out the family . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.