Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Farewell to Winter



Since spring has officially sprung as of last week, I thought I would post a post about winter. Some people hate winter. My opinion is, you only hate winter if you don't take time to enjoy it. Driving in winter weather is its own category, separate from winter itself. Over a year ago, I decided I love winter. I took walks in the evening when snow covered everything, flakes fell softly to the ground, and the cold felt invigorating. One day I decided to build a snowman after it had just snowed. It turned into a snowbride, because I couldn't get the snow to pack into round mounds. This past winter, all of my family was home when Minersville got a great snowstorm. We went tubing up to the flood control which we hadn't done for a looong time. As you can see, I'm not actually wearing clothing meant for wet, snowy conditions, so when I got home I had a wet derriere and wet streaks down my jeans. Unfortunately, you can't see the awesome '80s, early '90s snowboots everyone is wearing. Spring and summer wouldn't be so wonderful if we didn't have winter to break things up. When I was walking for hours under the blazing sun of Teresina, Brasil I liked to imagine jumping in a pool or, even better, enjoying a nice walk during a snowstorm. So next winter, enjoy it.

6 comments:

Denisse said...

What a cute picture of your family! Those gloves you're wearing are awesome, so stylish! and your little nephew on the bottom right is so dang cute!!! I love it that he's wearing his face mask to keep warm! Glad you enjoy winter Bets...I agree with you that winter definitely has its own beauty!:) Have you heard from Vanderbilt?

Holly said...

snow? what is snow?

The Martin's said...

Love the snow gear the family has on you guys are looking good. Takes me back to the good ole days when all we wanted to do was go sledding at the monument.

Val said...

Oh my Becky Lou Lou! I'm lucky to be your mom! The only thing is - you think way over my head ;-) My greatest wish for you is that all your best dreams come true. Keep the faith!! UR the best. See ya Friday. Love, shoo Mama.

Emily and Reese said...

I'll try to remember that next winter Bets!! Glad to see some pic on your blog, your family looks great, and I love the snow bride!!

Denisse said...

Bets...don't you think it's time to update this blog??? I miss reading your insights!